Sunday, January 04, 2009

Sunday Stroll Invitation

"
There is a privacy about it which no other season gives you ..... In spring, summerand fall people sort of have an open season on each other; only in the winter, in the country, can you have longer, quiet stretches when you can savor belonging to yourself."
~ Ruth Stout

A walk outdoors in Winter's enveloping quiet emphasizes that insulated feeling of belonging to yourself... and to your landscape and to your family. Our blanket of snow is being drizzled away by cold rain this morning, threatening the sledding party my daughters have planned for tomorrow afternoon. It is supposed to get colder and the rain is supposed to turn back to snow as the temperature falls, so perhaps by tomorrow afternoon conditions will be perfect for a long glide down one of our many hills.

If you have time to stroll today, and if your weather permits, please post about about it on your blog and then come back here with a comment and a link to your post. You may use the Sunday Stroll button at the top of this post on your post or side bar if you would like. I will add participant names to this post so other strollers can walk through your garden too.


Look who's strolling:
Abbie at Farmer's Daughter
Margaret at Periodic Pearls
Me here at The Quiet Country House
...

5 comments:

Farmer's Daughter said...

I just strolled on this beautiful sunny day. My post is up!

http://farmersdaughterct.wordpress.com/2009/01/04/brilliant/

Margaret Porter said...

Trying to creative, with a non-traditional stroll, as I'm housebound today!

http://www.margaretevansporter.blogspot.com/

Everydaywoman said...

Aisling,
Thanks for the invitation, but I don't think I'll have a chance to post a stroll today . . . too busy getting ready to go back to school tomorrow. Actually, I was in school this morning to get a leg-up on my ambitious students who will greet me tomorrow with all their holiday stories! Besides. . . it's still very wintry near me. . . the scene hasn't changed that much. If you'd like to swing by to check out reflections of the holiday, celebrating with 3 generations and a poll for the New Year, please do stop by!!!
All the BEST to you and yours in the New Year as everyone heads back to school/work routines, probably tomorrow, too?

Phill said...

Lovely post. The quiet (or lack of it) is the thing I notice most about traveling from the county to the city back and forth. When we get to the country place, the first thing I notice is that I can actually hear my footsteps outside. It's wonderful.

Marcie said...

Ruth, I read (and commented on) the three generations post, but will be back over soon!

Margaret and Abbie, Thanks for strolling!

CityMouse, I can always tell how much you appreciate the countryside in your posts. The quiet is a beautiful thing. I'm glad you're the kind of person to notice it!