Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Winter, One Last Thyme

By early afternoon, the snows of early morning had turned to light rain. I put on my big boots and headed out to look for signs of spring. I had to look closely, but tender green shoots are pushing up out of bare earth, and from beneath the snow and ice that lingers here still. This will probably be the last time I photograph my gardens this winter. When I do my "Sunday Stroll" on Easter, it will be spring.

photos by Aisling, March 18, 2008 1) English Thyme in the icy herb garden 2) Impression Tulips in the warmest spot in the front garden 3) Crocus emerging in the butterfly garden near the heuchera (coral bells) 4) Salad Burnett 5) The Chinese Elm in the butterfly garden

6 comments:

Colleen said...

Oh you're elm is beautiful! It seems to be perfect in every way. :)

Marcie said...

Colleen, Thank you! I love this tree myself. It has grown so fast and is the central feature in my butterfly garden, which has shade under the elm and then stretches out into the sunshine. Thank you for coming by to visit!

Marcie said...

Nancy, I had to hunt for a it a little bit, but it was there! Macro photos, in this case, kind of accentuate the positive! I love it too. Bring it on, bring it on! *grin*

Nan said...

Tulips!

I love the idea of macro accentuating the positive.

Anonymous said...

It is so lovely to see all those shoots emerging from the snow. We don't get to experience that here, because it doesn't snow.

Happy Easter,

Kate

Marcie said...

Nan, Thank you! It really does, doesn't it? Using the macro lens really slows me down and gets me to take a closer look at things I might otherwise overlook.

Kate, I grumble over the snow sometimes, but four distinct seasons is one of the beautiful things about where I live. I try to appreciate that fact on the grayest winter days! *grin*