Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Stroll - January Thaw

As evening settles into the hills, my daughter and I walk slowly along the lane.
Looking for color through the misty air, we see autumn's still-red apples clinging to naked branches. We find twilight washing down the sky like water colors,

streaming blue and purple light into the empty spaces between the poplar trees .

We find summer's flowers lying colorless on the icy edges of the road,

While bare trees reach up toward a sapphire sky.

Fences open onto sleeping, snow covered fields,

And in the heart of winter, in the stillness at the edge of night, grapevines are waiting for spring.

Where ever you are, whatever the weather, I wish you good color and beautiful company.
all photos by Aisling, January 17, 2010

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so good at finding color even in the middle of winter. Beautiful!

Pom Pom said...

My niece who is visiting me this weekend used her muscles to break up the ice lake in our driveway. Finally, the air warmed enough for THAT. We walked in the mushy mud along the trail and DROVE to the coffee shop. Good Sunday.

Marcie said...

Thank you both for visiting! It felt good outside yesterday. It was cold compared to most months, but warmer than the past few weeks. I really enjoyed my long leisurely walk with my daughter!

Everydaywoman said...

Aisling~you certainly had "beautiful company" with you! I just love the shots of your daughter; how nice that she strolled with you!

I must say I'm a bit jealous of your lustrous snow; we seem to be in mud season already, at least for a bit!

Thanks for sharing!

Marcie said...

Ruth, My daughter is a walking enthusiast also. I really treasure our walks together.

We have had warmer temps for several days, but haven't lost all of our snow. It has dipped into freezing temps each night, so I'm sure that has helped the ice and snow linger here. Enjoy your mud; I'm sure the snow will return! lol!

Crafts a la Mode said...

Beautiful, peaceful, awe inspiring pictures. Thank you so much! Linda

Marcie said...

Linda, You are welcome! Thank you for letting me know you enjoy them. :)

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Heavy rains and winds kept us inside this Sunday, but I got a chance to meander with you. And hey, where is your heavy coat?

Love,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green island

Marcie said...

Sharon, Lol. I had my heavy coat on actually... though I skipped the hat and mittens because of the weather. My daughter (seen in the photos) has on her "fashionable" winter coat. lol

I guess your rains are good for the earth, but I'm sorry you didn't have a chance to get out and walk. Thank you for coming by to share my stroll. :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Aisling, checking in days late.
Your images are beautiful.
Love the picture of your daughter.
I am thinking Spring - while the rain pours.