Sunday, May 07, 2017

Sunday Stroll - Prayer Flags


Nature will bear the closest inspection. 
She invites us to lay our eye level with her smallest leaf, 
and take an insect view of its plain. 
Henry David Thoreau





A few leaves of silver-green
appear in the tangled branches of ancient apple trees,
near a clearing in the heart of the woods.
As we walk by,
the leaves and I are shivering in the morning air.
I pull my hands up into the sleeves of my bulky sweater, 
but my canine companion is comfortable in his fur coat.



It appears that the sand-cherry trees have burst into flame,
Their bitter fruit are only pleasing to birds,
but their prayer-flag leaves are a celebration.



Beneath a tall maple,
I stand and listen to the wind.
I am still,
but the green maple flowers are dancing.



Red twigged dogwood stems



echo the scarlet tones of these showy leaves.
The delicate blossoms blush as they are held up to the light.

Some trees hide their lemon-lime bouquets of foliage in the shade,

while others stretch their branches out like an offering to the meadow.


In the wetlands, the perfect blue of the sky,
is reflected by the shallow water.
Micah likes to wade in, 
dragging his belly in the fragrant muck,
but I prefer to stand at the edge
and listen to the chattering of the birds
and the fluttering of the leaves.

Wherever you are, whatever the weather, I wish you serenity.


Steve strolled too!  Check out the Sunny Delights at Out on the Prairie.


Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/h/henrydavid106919.html?src=t_leaf

8 comments:

Birgit said...

This looks overal so pretty and inviting no matter the weather. Love the dogwood! I need to go for a walk so I think I will do just that!

Cat Lover said...

H Marcie, such lovely words! Your photos are beautiful too.
Have a good week.
Robin

Laurie said...

What a lovely stroll!

Out on the prairie said...

Lovely to get out. I like the backlight on new leaves. I have spent very little time indoors this last few days. I said I was making bread 4 days ago and gave in for a nice store bought loaf of 12 grain yesterday.

JFM said...

Marcie, how lovely! A beautiful walk among nature, fresh air and Micha!!! Perfect 💮⛅😊

Marcie said...

Birgit, I hope you got that walk in!

Robin, Thank you. I just write what I see. Always glad I have that camera along too!

Laurie, Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

Steve, New leaves are so pretty! I think that we forget how pretty they are when they emerge... We always just think of the green of high summer and the color of autumn!

Jan, Thank you! I was counting my blessings as we walked, believe me!

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely stroll, your photographs were lovely to see.

All the best Jan

Magic Love Crow said...

Beautiful Marcie! Thank you for such a lovely post! Big Hugs!