Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sunday Stroll - Mostly Edible Landscaping


This year we added a new kitchen garden bed to the property.
Because the bed is in a prominent location near the house,
it needed to be decorative as well as functional.


It was fun to mix interesting looking edibles,
with herbs and flowers, some edible, some not.
These artichokes are a relative of thistle 
and you can see the strong family resemblance.

Both roses and rosehips are edible,
as well as colorful and nutritious 
(especially the hips which are quite high in Vitamin C.)



Dianthus, the old fashioned favorite "pinks,
a lovely to look add, to smell, and to sprinkle in salad or desserts.


Pink Wave Petunias are decidedly NOT edible, 
but they made a pretty border for the garden
and filled this new bed in quickly.



Thai basil is a particularly beautiful cultivar of basil,
with purple stems and attractive leaves.
We put many in this garden, along with large leafed Italian basil.
Both were delicious!


Speaking of attractive leaves:

Pineapple Sage


Chickpea (aka Garbanzo Beans)


Rose leaves,

and Garden Sage
added to the pageant of green beauty.

Blue Borage flowers attracted honey bees, bumble bees
and other, less familiar, pollinators
by the dozens all summer long.



Wherever you are, whatever the weather, I wish you peace.


When you have the chance, head on over to Steve's blog, Out on the Prairie
to share in his stroll through Sun and Clouds.

7 comments:

Pom Pom said...

So pretty, Marcie! I love the sage especially. Let's start getting our nature journals ready! I am going to glue leaves on the front. I might do it today.

Out on the prairie said...

I never grew artichokes, but sure like to eat them. What a nice array of goodies and pretties.

Marcie said...

Pom, This is a good excuse to buy a new notebook or journal! lol. I will have to look around here first to see if I have a good one for our venture. I'm eager to get going toO!

Steve, I have never grown artichokes before, but what a fun experiment. They are supposed to be biennial, so I am shocked to have "fruit" already! Now I have to learn how to tell when they are ready to pick. :D

Michelle said...

You have some beautiful edibles. I love the basil and always grow it.

Birgit said...

I love those blue flowers and I always love how we can eat so many leaves and even petals. The dianthus is always so beautiful

My Journey To Mindfulness said...

Marcie, so impressed with you
and can I be envious
so much I did in the past
and now cannot
you are doing it -- good

Magic Love Crow said...

Thank you Marcie!! Very beautiful and informative post! Big Hugs!