Thursday, September 20, 2007

Poetry Thursday - Sijo (Again!)

Taking a couple of weeks off of Poetry Thursday was apparently not a very good idea. Rather than picking up with my next child's "namesake" poetry, I accidentally researched Sijo again and wrote another. I thought things sounded awfully familiar, but since several of these Asian poetry styles are similar, I didn't realize my mistake until this evening. Since I wrote this today, I will go ahead and share it, and begin with Tanka next week. (If I post Sijo for three times in a row, start to worry about me! *grin*)

So, with all of that said, here is my second attempt at Sijo:

Oh swift running time slow down; I'm leaving unfinished days behind.
I will sit beneath the elm tree, and rest my eyes for a while.
Let the wild grape vines grow, and tie me to this earth while I dream.


~ Aisling, Sept. 20, 2007

I read the following Sijo on the aforementioned website. It takes my breath away.

Oh that I might capture the essence of this deep midwinter night
And fold it softly into the waft of a spring-moon quilt
Then fondly uncoil it the night my beloved returns.
~ Hwang Chin-i (1522-1565) most revered female Korean classical poet

photo by Aisling, September 20, 2007, late summer re-bloom

2 comments:

Robbin said...

I knew you'd realize it sooner or later, lol. Anyway, I loved your Sijo again. Silly girl! I'll wait patiently for the next one.

Marcie said...

On the positive side, it got me to write another sijo, which I might not have done for months (or even years) otherwise. *grin*

Thanks for reading and commenting! : )