Sunday, April 06, 2008

Decor-a-TEA


The week three theme for Gracious Hospitality's blog-a-thon is tea motifs in decorating. I have to admit, I drink most of my tea in mugs and don't stand on ceremony very often. The tiny bit of "tea ware" that I have is in my china hutch, though I look longingly at the tea cups and saucers in local antique store windows fairly often. In my house, with two rough and tumble little boys, I'm afraid those items would not last long. Right now, one of the panes of glass in my hutch needs to be replaced because of Tanka's wild antics.

The photo above shows two little brown tea pots that were my maternal grandmothers. The smaller of the two could be used as a creamer in a pinch, but also makes a lovely single serving of tea. The photo below shows the little bride and groom mice who sat atop our wedding cake about 20 and one half years ago, in front of the sugar bowl and creamer from my grandmother's china set. The mice were a gift from a wonderful friend with whom I worked. Sadly, I have lost touched with that friend, who was so much of a kindred spirit. I think of her often when I see these country mice, and I think also of the two country mice, Limerick and I, who were married all those years ago in a garden.


photos by Aisling, April 2008

6 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Lovely, classic and traditional Brown Betty teapots! The colors on them are unique and beautiful. How special that you were able to receive them from your grandmother. And those mice; adorable! How sweet to have a bride mouse and a groom mouse at an outdoor wedding.

Be sure to link this post to Mr. Linky! You can post it under week 4 if you'd like.

LaTeaDah

Grace said...

adorable tea decorations, I am so glad I had the chance to visit your blog, I will be back

Marcie said...

Thank you for your nice comments and for taking the time to catch up with all of my posts! : )

Vee said...

Such a charming post...what sweet little mice, too. I love the color brown so I'm particularly impressed with the teapots.

Marcie said...

Vee, Thank you. I love the little brown pots too. :)

Marcie said...

Nancy, Thanks. They've been with me for a long time, especially the mice, so I'm pretty attached! :)