Monday, July 16, 2007

Monday Muse: Maura O'Connell

I first heard Maura O'Connell, maybe about 15 years ago, on a Sunday Morning radio show that played an interesting blend of folk, rock and blues music. The song she was singing that morning was Shawn Colvin's Don't Know Why, and her voice and interpretation of the lyrics was incredible. In this clip, she does an amazing cover of Van Morrison's Crazy Love. If you've never heard her, please check it out! She also has a very informative website.


6 comments:

Robbin said...

Thanks for sharing that Aisling, I've not heard of her before and I really liked what she did with that song. I'll have to explore her a little more.

Marcie said...

Robbin, I'm glad to have introduced you to someone new. I always think there is an "old soul" quality to her voice, if that makes any sense. :)

Catherine Mary said...

Aisling, I have one of Maura's CDs but haven't listened to it for awhile. I was introduced to her by knowing about Jerry Douglas, who has been a producer on some of her albums. Jerry is also a well-known musician, a Dobro player. I have several of his albums. He sometimes collaborates with Edgar Meyer, a bass player and Mark O'Conner, fiddle player. I'm having a moment here where I want to go dig up those albums and listen to them all again!

Marcie said...

Catherine Mary, I will have to look up Jerry Douglas on line. It is always fun to have a new musician to become acquainted with. So, did you dig out the old albums? *grin*

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of her but I LOVE her voice.

Marcie said...

Grace, She really does have a beautiful voice, doesn't she? When I was deciding who to post about on Monday, I tried to think of someone I like that maybe not everyone has heard of. :)