Thursday, August 09, 2007

Poetry Thursday: Limerick

Most off us have probably heard a few limericks in our time. This (again Irish) form of poetry is usually humorous (sometimes off-color!) and there are a couple of rules to the structure: The first, second and fifth lines should rhyme and have the same number of syllables. The third and fourth lines should rhyme and have the same number of syllables.

I have to admit that writing this did not come as naturally to me as writing last week's Aisling. It felt more like an assignment. I'm providing two limericks: The first one is an attempt to meet the requirement for humor, and the other is more dreamy and connected with nature which, as you may have guessed, is more my style.

The Limerick Assignment

There once was a blogger on the internet
who hadn’t posted a poem for Thursday yet.
She searched through her brain;
She searched it again,
but this poor limerick was all she could get.

Dayspring

Is there somewhere an island serene
in a lake of clear aquamarine?
I’d like to be there at dayspring
to hear the chorus the birds sing,
and watch dawn paint the sky tangerine.

I wrote the second limerick on Tuesday night and on Wednesday morning the sunrise came up over the back hill with the prettiest splash of tangerine. I wasn't on an island, but part of my wish came true! Maybe one of these days I'll learn to be my own "island serene" and be able to experience that calm and quiet wonder where-ever I am.

7 comments:

Robbin said...

I say you did pretty good indeed. I've tried my hand at writing Limericks and they are HARD!
I've never read a "dreamy and connected to nature" limerick before but I loved it! I love the word "tangerine". It's one of my favorite words! And yep, Nature rewarded you by putting your words to life, I love it when that happens.
I thought of you today, hope your interview went well and if it's the job you want I hope it's yours!

Catherine Mary said...

After I read "Dayspring" and your explanation of your experience writing it and and the morning after, it came to me that writing a poem (or your type of limerick) is a bit like saying a prayer.

Marcie said...

Robbin, Thank you! I love the word tangerine too. :)

The interview was pleasant, although of course I second guessed a few of the things I said on the way home. I do want the position, but if it doesn't work out, I know there is something better waiting around the corner!

Catherine Mary, I agree. For me, writing poetry is very much like a prayer or a meditation.

Nan said...

I love the first one and laughed right out loud!

Marcie said...

Nan, Thank you! I'm glad it made you laugh. Probably because you keep a blog, you can relate to the difficulty of coming up with something to post sometimes! :)

Nan said...

I've given you an award and you may find it here:

http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/
2007/08/nice-matters.html

Marcie said...

Nan, Thank you! I'm off to read about it. It may take me a few days to post my list. I'm very slow about these things sometimes. It's so hard to choose!