Thursday, October 04, 2007

Poetry Thursday - October


A child looking at ruins
grows younger but cold
and wants to wake to a new name
I have been younger in October
than in all the months of spring
walnut and may leaves the color
of shoulders at the end of summer
a month that has been to the mountain
and become light there
the long grass lies pointing uphill
even in death for a reason
that none of us knows
and the wren laughs in the early shade now
come again shining glance in your good time
naked air late morning
my love is for lightness
of touch foot feather
the day is yet one more yellow leaf
and without turning I kiss the light
by an old well on the last of the month
gathering wild rose hips
in the sun

by W.S. Merwin, The Love of October



I think these thoughts about October are beautifully expressed. Someone please remind me to kiss the light by an old well on the last of the month, and to gather wild rose hips in the sun!

photos by Aisling, October 2007 1) Galliardia and Coreopsis in the evening light 2) Wild Rose Hips on the back hill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are thses pictures that you have taken where you live? I absolutely love to view contry pictures such as the ones you have posted. They are so peaceful and beautiful.

Marcie said...

Saly, The first photo was taken from my front porch: through the flower bed to the distant view. The second is on the back hill of my property, where things run a little wild (but I like it!) and was a "left over" photo from my Sunday stroll post the day before. Most of the photos on my blog are taken in or around my home and gardens.

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. You must have found me through Robbin's blog, as I found you this morning. I'll be back to visit your blog again! :)