Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Things I love about Home...



Company is welcome… You can see this from the two large sofas that dominate the living room. (Nope there’s no flat screen tv to assume that role.) In fact, 8 to 10 people can sleep, sitting up with their head on the next person’s shoulder, on the big sectional sofa… and they have (mostly teenagers.)

You can’t tell how beat up and stained the counter tops are, because there are usually some dirty dishes stacked there. This reminds me of two things: the people in the house are busy doing things other than washing dishes and lots of good food has been prepared, from scratch, in this kitchen. The evidence… pots, pans, mixers, bread boards… is all in plain sight.

It’s ok to wear shoes in the house, make costumes, do crafts, or create great inventions on the living carpet. It’s pretty obvious from the wear and tear that others have “crafted here afore ye.”

You can put your feet up on the coffee table without fear of reprisal. It’s already broken in and a few more scuff marks will just add to its character. What? You splashed a little of your coffee on the table? No worries. By the way, when you scoot over to the kitchen for a towel to clean it up, why don’t you start another pot of coffee in the big silver percolator that sits there, ready to serve a crowd (or just one very sleepy family) on a moment’s notice.



Photos by Haiku, 1) Maude in the dining room... 2) Tiggy demonstrating that there is room on the couch for 8 or 10 people... or one sprawled out kitty. :)

5 comments:

Farmer's Daughter said...

Our house was always lived-in growing up, and that's the kind of house I have now, too. Dogs were allowed on the couch (or the bed) and mud was constantly on the floor. I always felt so strange going into clean houses, like I was going to mess them up!

Pom Pom said...

This is the perfect HOME. Have you read the book Open Heart, Open Home? It sounds like you have! For years, we took our whole family to camp for up to six weeks at a time. We stayed in whatever cabin we were assigned and we lived in cozy community. With the fire keeping us warm (most of our stints were in British Columbia - rainy) and the coffee smell surrounding us, we had some sweet conversations in those living rooms. Your post reminded me. I like the part about the teenagers. We've loved teenagers for decades. Teenagers are the reason my heart skips a beat when I think about school starting in four weeks or so. Thanks, Aisling. I love your words.

Marcie said...

Abbie, I really love the appearance of a perfectly kept house that looks like it was just set up for a magazine shoot. But... I don't feel relaxed in that sort of home. And here, I always feel like the people are more important than the place... if that makes any sense.

Pom Pom,
I haven't read Open Heart, Open Home. Now you've got me curious! Your camp sounds idyllic.

I like your attitude about Teens. We should all feel that positive about our young people. It might be an entirely diffent world if we did. :)

Everydaywoman said...

Oh, I just LOVE a house that's lived in! Ours is just like yours!
But, I see, my daughter has already beat me to commenting on that! I can remember, growing up, I had 2 different aunts, whose homes were spotless, to the point, where you were afraid to go there or sit down or do something wrong! I always thought that kids probably didn't have much fun there!

Marcie said...

Ruth, I bet I'd feel right at home visiting you or Abbie. Thanks for letting me know that I'm in good company!