Monday, January 18, 2010

Inspiration - Kenbe Fem


If you have been reading my blog for long, you know that each year my family and I select a country to "adopt" for the year. We learn what we can about that country, focusing on the geography and customs, the people and their stories. In 2009, we studied Tibet. I haven't had a chance to summarize our study of that country and write about post about it but we were fascinated by the people of Tibet and the unique spirit of the people of an oppressed nation.


Around Christmas time, my daughters and I began to consider nations for 2010's study. We knew that we wanted to choose a Caribbean country, because we haven't done so yet though we have touched on all of the continents by now. We've been building this tradition for over 15 years now! Just before Christmas, my girls and I settled on Haiti. For the past several weeks, I have been "collecting" websites and blogs to use as resources for the year including the blogs of journalists and missionaries.


Like most of you, we have been reading and listening to stories of the devastating earthquake almost a week ago. After hearing the news, I checked in on each of the blogs I had been reading to see how all of the families I had been just getting to know had fared. I thought I would share a link to one blog. This dedicated missionary and her family are doing alright, but their hearts are hurting over the loss that surrounds them.




As I get to know the people of Haiti, even so early in my year of study, I am amazed by their spirit. In the face of poverty, storm and upheaval, these are a resilient people. The writer of the blog noted above says that the Haitians say, "Kenbe Fem" which means "hold or stand firm." I pray, as she does, that they will be able to do so under these circumstances. I am inspired by the outpouring of love and support from the world for these beautiful southern neighbors of ours. May it be in time, may it be enough... better yet, may it be more than enough. May it bloom and grow.

8 comments:

Tabor said...

This is so true and I agree with you that these people seem to be so strong and resilient. It is just so sad that they were just beginning to turn their country toward better economics and this had to happen.

Marcie said...

Tabor, This type of disaster is always terrible, but you are right; the timing is tragic.

Cloudhands said...

I just went to the recommended blog and was moved by the efforts and loving respect the writer has for all his friends and neighbors and how they are working together for the common good. It's a wonderful reminder of the deep instincts of humans to serve one another. It will be an interesting year of study for you all.

L'Adelaide said...

how lovely, thank you for the link...i came across one yesterday of a young woman who had gone to Haiti to work in an orphanage...sadly, she did not make it...

your idea of studying a country a year is such a good one, i will tell my daughter in law, who is just beginning to teach her little ones.
xo

Jessica Monte said...

First, I have to say that I am so inspired by your family's tradition of adopting a country each year. What a wonderful way to expand your world and open up to understand the people in it.

Second, thank you for sharing the link to the blogger for Haiti. My husband and I are talking about making a donation to help out. Do you have any recommendations?

Marcie said...

Mom, I think it will be an interesting year. I like your thought about our deep instinct to serve one another!

linda, there are so many stories of struggle in Haiti. Some have happy endings. Unfortunately, too many do not. Whether she adopts our country-study idea or not, I'm sure your daughter in law will build some beautiful traditions with her little ones. What precious years!

Marcie said...

Jessica, We made just a small donation to yele.org. Because it is a small NGO, it can't necessarily have the impact of a huge organization such as the Red Cross. I chose it because we had already been reading about the Yele mission and had thought about donating at some point this year to support their efforts to improve the lives of young Haitians.

Having said that, I watched one video where the founder of Yele.org is encouraging people to donate to Red Cross. We may do that also when we can. I'm sure they will be needing help for quite some time.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Aisling, thank you for this thoughtful post. Also, your year of study is something I am going to mention to my daughter with the two little ones. Blessings to you this rainy day - in Tennessee.