Friday, January 01, 2010

A Little Quote and a Little Note: Nurture


"Nourish beginnings, let us nourish beginnings.

Not all things are blest, but the seeds of all things are blest.

The blessing is in the seed."
Muriel Rukeyser


I love this quote found today at the beginning of a new year which is attributed to Muriel Rukeyser, who is also responsible for one of my favorite quotes ever, "The universe is made of stories, not atoms," which you will find as a permanent feature of my sidebar. The idea that the blessing is in the seed speaks to me of nurture. As gardeners, we nurture. As parents, we nurture. As friends, we nurture. It is so elemental a component of who we are, or who we strive to be.


Let us nurture this seedling year, which is unfurling before us, a tender, sweet miracle of possibility.

7 comments:

Pom Pom said...

I agree! Nurturing is a high calling and a just one. It's such a privilege to love.

Marcie said...

Thanks for chiming in! It is always nice to find a little note from you on my blog, Pom Pom! :)

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Your words underlined my constant thoughts - a New Year in my new woods home. Wonder what I will experience in this time. My first winter, spring and summer to enjoy their beginning on this loved land.

Michele said...

Lovely quote, Aisling, a good one to ponder.

Marcie said...

Ernestine, Those are pretty exciting thoughts. How lovely it is to experience each season from a new home... to see each season with fresh eyes. Enjoy, enjoy!

Rapunzel, I thought so too. :D

Debbie said...

Aisling, your little quote and little note have blessed and nurtured me. What a lovely, hope-filled way to begin this new year. Thank you.

I'm smiling because, my friend, you have a real gift for blessing and nurturing. I am grateful for your presence in my life.

Marcie said...

Prairie Star, I'm glad the quote was as meaningful to you as it was to me. I'm also so pleased to be able to share thoughts and ideas with you across the miles, through our blogs.

Thank you for your uplifting and affirming comment!