Sunday, September 17, 2017

Sunday Stroll - Undaunted

Morning clouds herald the arrival
of an afternoon storm.


Dressed in their brilliant colors,


with all their bright flags waving,


the flowers are undaunted by the weather.









The flowers pictured here are all growing,
in a tangled blaze of glory,
in the center of the vegetable garden.
This space is intended as a habitat oasis
for pollinators and other beneficial insects.

We will not till this up,
but will allow this mix of wildflowers,
herbs, and old fashioned cutting flowers 
to self-seed with wild abandon
 and thereby limit disruption
 to the life cycles of the insect inhabitants.

Because we used some seed mixes,
it has been fun to discover what plants have emerged.
The daisy-like mums in shades of pink and purple 
have been a nice surprise
in these last days of summer.


Wherever you are, whatever the weather, I wish you peace.


Steve's Stroll is up!
Head on over to his blog to see how fall is sneaking up, 



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

this mix of wildflowers is very nice and the life cycles of the insect inhabitants is wonderful!!!!
gorgeous photos from your garden and the sky!

Happy sundayevening
Elke

JFM said...

What a thoughtful and beautiful way to plant seeds, flowers and nuture nature's insect population Marcie!
These photos, as always, are gorgeous 🌼🌻🌺💮🌸

Out on the prairie said...

Gorgeous blooms and that first shot is beauty with the virgo coming out of the clouds.Just posted my stroll, yakked too much at church. LOL

Marcie said...

Elke, Thank you! Loving this season!

Jan, Thank you. This garden was new this year, so I'm very eager to see what pops up next year. Will add a few new seeds in spring, if need be.

Steve, I edited my stroll to add a link. Hope that folks will head your way. Thank you. I probably took 50 photos of the sun and clouds today. Couldn't get over how beautiful it was! lol

M.K. said...

What a lovely idea! I put in about 25 basil plants into our garden b/c I had no where else to put them, and they did the same thing for our pollinators. I love your idea!

Marcie said...

MK, Oh yes, the pollinator love the herbs, don't they? We had Thai Basil and Italian Basil as a landscape border near the house, along with some other "blue flowered herbs" (catnip, borage, anise hyssop, and more) and they drew honeybees and bumblebees by the hundreds every day.

I hope you have been enjoying all that basil. I just LOVE basil!

Lowcarb team member said...

Flowers are simply amazing, I never tire of seeing them.
Great series of photographs.

All the best Jan

Marcie said...

Jan, Me too. I could spend all day in the garden... if only there weren't so many other things to do! Thank you for your visit!

My Journey To Mindfulness said...

so beautiful
I smile
I want them all in my garden :)

Blogoratti said...

Really lovely pictures to look at, thanks for sharing them.

Cat Lover said...

Gorgeous photos Marcie! Lovely idea to let the wildflowers grow in the middle of the veggie garden. A delight to see what comes up.
Have a good week!
Robin

magnoliasntea said...

You have so many beautiful wildflowers. I love that you have them in the middle of your vegetable garden. Your ideas are fabulous.
Have a great week!

Magic Love Crow said...

Truly breath taking! I love that you do this for the insects!! Big Hugs!