Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sunday Stroll - The Year's End


My stroll was more like a lurch through slush, snow and brush this afternoon. Wild wind and cold hands made for some blurry photos, but still they will give you an impression of the afternoon hours, after the morning's winter storm.


Despite wind gusts of up to 40 miles per hour, three hawks flew over the eastern hills this morning. I photographed them through the window, without much success, but I enjoyed watching them interact with each other and soar against the gray sky.


When a tiny patch of blue appeared in the sky, I grabbed the camera, stepped into my clunky boots, and headed out the front door and down the hill toward the butterfly garden and the creek, running with yesterday's rain.



A busy gardener apparently forgot to finish tucking the garden in for the winter. A few pots and a bench, which has been tipped over by the wind, still need to be brought in for the season. Stalks, laden with seeds, were left to feed the wild ones who prowl the garden in the barren winter-time.



Leaves of huechera (coral bells) peak out of the snow, reminding me, as I leave the butterfly garden and head up the trail along the creek, that greener days are coming.


The creek scurries downhill, rushing while it can, toward the south. Soon, it will be hidden again ~ for weeks on end ~ beneath the snow and ice of a northern winter.


...

all photos by Aisling, December 28, 2008

5 comments:

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Your pictures are beautiful but they give me a chillllll It is 50 degrees in Nashville. Difficult to believe but it is true. Take care.

Joyce said...

Oooh, I like the creek water pictures!

We got a deluge yesterday that removed the layer of ice we've been dealing with, and I was able to get out for a stroll today. Stop by, if you have time.

Marcie said...

Ernestine,

50 degrees sounds good, but we had in the 40s yesterday and got rain... which washed away the snow then froze into slush on the roads over night. I'd rather just stick with snow! Thanks for visiting.

Joyce,
Thank you! It was nice to see the creek running. I'll come by and see your stroll and add you to my list.

:)

Linda said...

Your Sunday stroll certainly looked like a chilly one. You were braver than me as I just popped outside the back door for a moment or two as we were having the same powerful winds.

Marcie said...

Linda,

It was very cold. I didn't wear gloves so that I could operate my camera, and my hands were so very cold by the time I came in! Thank goodness for a warm mug of tea! :)