Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday Stroll - Full Circle

Have you come to share my walk through a day flecked with hints of autumn's approach? Perhaps you can blame the gardener for that pot of orange mums in the front garden, but what about the blush of color just teasing the edges of the leaves in the woods of the eastern hills? As we walk down past the Fiesta Maple, we see that it's carnival of color has yet to begin but, in the garden just beyon the maple, a little sunflower mummurs something quietly about summer's end. Did you hear?



The cosmos are unfolding... This picotee, with it's delicate color and vivid edges was the first to bloom. A seashell cosmo blooms nearby. We stop for a closer look, but a spirited breezes urges us down the trail.

Despite the aura of autumn that circles the garden, most visible in the abundant goldenrod, there is still a lot of pink in the garden... in the sedum, some of the mums, and in those resilient coneflowers.




Other blossoms echo the hues of the fields and wild-edges beyond the gardens.








Enjoying the afternoon sunshine, the warmest hours of this Sunday late in August, we wander through the yard from the butterfly garden to the vegetable plot. Amid the ripening pumpkins and watermelon, and a sea of still-green tomatoes, we find a little zinnia on the cusp of her grand entrance. We see a little sunflower, still green, but stretching toward the sunlight.

Like the seasons, we have come full circle... As we approach the front door, I stop for a sprig of fennel to sweeten our tea. Let's go in and put the kettle on.


Where-ever you are, what ever the weather, I wish you the all the beauty of this season.
all photos by Aisling, August 30, 2009

14 comments:

Cloudhands said...

Love the pinks. We are more into purples and yellows around here. Like you the changes into fall are still just showing around the edges. The Dogwoods are showing some burgandy and now and them I spy a tree jumping the gun and 'puttin on the Ritz' but deep summer is still here for awhile.

Marcie said...

We have purple and yellow in the wild areas, but I love still having pink in the garden. It seems either tender and new, or depending on the shade, bold and daring. All the colors are good though, aren't they? The blue, blue sky, the fat white clouds, even the hint of autumn in the leavesd. It's all good!

Pom Pom said...

Yes, I'm trying to do a lot of looking around because as soon as the cold nights come, so many of my blooms will go away. I am so cheered by the sunflowers.

Marcie said...

Pom Pom,

You're right... From this point on, there is a steady decrease in how much color there is in the garden. Most years, I have mums lingering into late October.

I'm looking around as much as I can too before my classes start up again. Thank you for coming by!

Nan said...

The words, the pictures - all are just perfect.

Marcie said...

Thank you, Nan. I'm so glad you came by to share my Sunday walk.

Mandie said...

Beautiful photos Aisling! Thank you for the Sunday Stroll.

Marcie said...

Mandie,

I'm glad you came by to visit! :)

Michele said...

Such beautiful colors, Aisling! I envy you, as always, your obvious change of seasons. While your Sunday stroll will become more vibrant in the coming weeks & months, mine will barely change. I know, living in the tropics has it's good points but at this time of year I really long for a true Autumn!

Marcie said...

Rapunzel,

There is a little something in each of us that longs for what we do not have, I think. I often wish that I lived somewhere with a longer growing season and way-less winter. But then, could I give up these four true seasons? I don't know. I think I'd be happy anywhere that I could have a little garden and walk barefoot on this beautiful earth.

Jessica Monte said...

Aisling, I just love the last 2 photos. The light and color are gorgeous.

Marcie said...

Jessica,

Thank you! I love the color of the sky in the last one. What a great blue. :)

L'Adelaide said...

oooo, love those pinks, as always...you have so many flowers in bloom! excepting my roses, that are coming in for their second show, nothing is doing anything but being brown...don't know if I will be strolling tomorrow but if so, will let you know and visit those who are if I can.
xoxoxox
thank you for your loving and thoughtful comments on my recent post, my dear...

Marcie said...

Linda, Thank you for coming by to see my stroll from last week. I can't believe I didn't manage any other posts since then, but the first week of classes is always an adjustment.

I do still have a lot of flowers blooming, but it will come to a screeching halt, perhaps in October, and I imagine you will have lingering blooms in your locale.

You're welcome for the comment. :)