Thursday, June 19, 2008

An Apronful of Peas


I've become so immersed in my gardening that I have neglected to share poetry here on Thursdays for the past few weeks. I've just discovered (or rather rediscovered) that if you look hard enough, you can find poetry even about vegetables. I like this one by Eleanor Farjeon, who wrote the beautiful lyrics of Morning Has Broken.


Vegetables

The country vegetables scorn
To lie about in shops,
They stand upright as they were born
In neatly-patterned crops;

And when you want your dinner you
Don't buy it from a shelf,
You find a lettuce fresh with dew
And pull it for yourself;

You pick an apronful of peas
And shell them on the spot.
You cut a cabbage, if you please,
To pop into the pot.

The folk who their potatoes buy
From sacks before they sup,
Miss half of the potato's joy,
And that's to dig it up.

~ by Eleanor Farjeon (1881-1965)
The photo, taken yesterday by my daughter Haiku, shows the blossoms on some of our snow peas. Thus far, we have only had a few radishes and an abundance of herbs from our garden, but soon I hope to pick an entire "apron full of peas" as this poet suggests, to add to our evening meal.
I hope you find some poetry in this day.

No comments: