Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Tuesday at Home



Today is one of those lovely rare days that I get to spend entirely at home. With no where to hurry off to:
~ I have removed an accumulation of clutter (is "accumulation of clutter" redundant?) from the main living areas so that later in the week I may clean surfaces. You have to be able to get to surfaces to clean them well!
~ I wanted to cover the card table with a bit of fabric for Senryu's Graduation Party this coming Sunday. The fabric I wanted to use wasn't large enough, so I pieced it together with some other fabric and added trim for the corners. It was "Halloween quality" sewing, in my estimation. If you've ever quickly thrown together a Halloween costume from bits and pieces, with little attention to the finer details of sewing such as exquisitely finished edges, then you'll understand my concept of "Halloween quality." Ordinarily, when I sew, I like the underside or inside to be as presentable as the outside. Anyway, this table will be either the gift table or the beverage table at the party on Sunday. It looks better than the dingy, worn-out table top and (somewhat) fits the Asian theme we are using, in honor of Senryu's exchange in Taiwan last school year.


~ I played (again) "What's your made up candy?" with Tanka. Today mine is "June Candy" which tastes like strawberries, fresh sweet air, and sometimes like rain. I also got craft supplies out for him, and he sat on the living room floor and made bookmarks. One is now tucked into the children's fantasy novel, Sea of Trolls, that I am currently reading.

~ I pulled some weeds in the garden. I tend to leave things like pretty yellow oxalis (with it's clover-like leaves) or dandelions, but I pull the invasive weeds that threaten my more delicate perennials.

~ I have laundry going, and dishes soaking in the sink. Tidying up the kitchen is next on my list, and by the time I finish, it will be time to begin making dinner. I think I'll make a light nutritious soup. It's June 3rd, but I'm wearing a sweater on this cool, overcast day, so soup sounds just right.


photos by Aisling, June 3, 2008 1) new table cover 2) new table cover corners 3) detail of print 4) yellow oxalis, a "weed" in the butterfly garden 5) dandelion "going to fluff" near the driveway

6 comments:

Chellie said...

I love to read about everyday stuff; the cleaning, cooking dinner, and just living life. Thanks for sharing!

Marcie said...

Chellie, And thank you for visiting! :)

Memaw's memories said...

When you get finished, come to my house and spend a day or two. I need lots of help getting my house in order. I can't for the life of me figure out who messes it up. I live alone. I think someone comes in during the day and tears everything apart.

Marcie said...

Memaw, I'm glad I have 5 other people to blame for the mess, otherwise I might have to take personal responsibility! *grin*

Nancy, Why thank you! I love the print, so it is nice to finally use that bit of left-over fabric for something! I think it originally came from my Mom's fabric stash!

Debbie said...

Hiya Aisling,
Just stopping by to see what you are up to. I'm smiling because the timing seems right as I can now wish you warm congratulations on and for your graduate ;o)! We've just returned from a visit to Texas to watch our dear nephew graduate. It's such an amazing mix of emotions, eh?
Twinkles,

Marcie said...

Prairie Star, Yes, it is a time of mixed emotions. I think I went through a lot of the emotions about my child growing up and moving on when she went on her student exchange last school year. For now, she will still be living at home and going to college locally, so there isn't that worry about seperation.

Thanks for visiting! :)