Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sunday Stroll - Chasing Swallowtails


As I walked in my gardens today, camera in hand, I tried to catch the beautiful Eastern Tiger Swallowtails in a photograph. Alas, they evaded me and so you will see only flowers and green leaves today. Trust me, if I manage to photograph my fluttering friends, I will post the photo here later! Rain clouds are looming on the edge of the sky, so I may have had my last garden meander for today. The photo above is a Galliardia, or blanket flower that I planted from seed. It was supposed to be a solid burgandy blanket flower to suit the dark color scheme of my front garden. As I wrote in my "Spirit Bead" post, quite some time ago, sometimes I am not the only designer at work in my garden.

Below are Ruby Cloud Masterwort, or Astrantia, Black Lace Elderberry, and two dark velvet purple pansies all from the front garden.

Down the hill, behind the house in the Butterfly garden, where camera-shy swallowtails hang out, I took photos of these Ganzania's which are a new-to-me annual.


In the Orchard Garden, in Haiku's rose and herb bed, a lush tangle is blooming. This dianthus, Candy Dish, is sumptous, and these rosebuds (on the same plant, though their coloration is different) are almost ready to bloom. This pretty Sweet William, a cousin to the dianthus, is tucked in amid rampant catmint and peppermint.


Now, I'm off to eat popcorn and read a fantasy novel one of my brothers loaned to me. Happy Sunday friends!


all photos by Aisling, Sunday June 22, 2008


6 comments:

Joyce said...

I love Sweet William! My grandmother always had it, but I've never planted any. I'll have to put that on my list for next year.

Marcie said...

I put a cutting garden mix in one year that had some, and ever since have had a variety of them. I think they are short lived, but must self-sow. I love them too!

Robbin said...

One of my favorite posts you know, the Spirit Bead one. Your flowers are so pretty. You're after a butterfly and I'm after a deer, I wish so badly to get one. I saw another doe today, no picture. Hope you're enjoying your book, and hope you had a restful Sunday. And thankyou! For being you.

Marcie said...

Robbin, I hope you get a photo of that deer soon! Thank you for being you too.

hugs,
Aisling

Cottage Rose said...

Thank you so much for the Sunday garden walk. Your flowers are just beautiful and lovely to look at. What a peaceful place place you have, and your blog feels the same way. Hope your week is peaceful as well. Right now we are getting a thunderstorm, I love the sound.

hugs;
Alaura

Marcie said...

Alaura, Thank you for your kind comments about my flowers and my blog. How nice to meet you. I know just what you mean about the music of a thunderstorm!