Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Stroll - Dragonfly Landings



The flowers in the butterfly garden make lovely landing pads for more than just butterflies. Honey bees, and bumble bees, and moths of many varieties settle in for long, slow sips of nectar. Ruby-throated Hummingbirds zip in to sample the sweetness of the coral bells. I've seen them sit still for just a few seconds on the branches of the Chinese Elm tree. Dragonflies do elegant aerobatics over the swaying blossoms. Sometimes one sits on a slate in the trail for a little sun and, I like to imagine, a brief meditation. I don't blame them. I like to do the same thing.





photos by Aisling, Sunday June 29, 2008 1) Stella De Oro Daylily 2) marigold and tiny bee 3) Dutch Iris and ants 4) Arctic Daisies 5) baby sun coreopsis 6) fairy rose 7) whitetail dragonfly

4 comments:

Robbin said...

I love the Fairy Rose, it's beautiful, such a pretty color. But the Iris, I love the Iris but then that Daisy! You know I can't decide what is my favorite, but I don't have to, do I?
Don't you love to see the birds and insects enjoying all that beauty too! You know, not everyone notices these things but then that's just another reason I love you because YOU do.
I missed out today, had to work and it was stormy all day. Maybe next week. This is becoming a habit and when I can't do it, I miss it like crazy!
Hope your week coming up is a good one.

L'Adelaide said...

hi....thought I would come by and see your flowers...I have not been out strolling with camera lately...the air has been horrible with 1000 fires in CA! I can hardly believe that but anyway, today is the first day with some blue sky so I will do some strolling soon...loved that fairy rose too :)

Marcie said...

Robbin, lol! I can't really pick a favorite flower either. I do love to see the birds and little flying critters enjoying the day. They really seem filled with exuberance and energy. I'm sorry you couldn't stroll. Maybe you can do it later in the week when a nice day arrives. Take care of yourself!

Marcie said...

Linda, I'm sorry you've not been able to stroll. Hope you've been painting though! Enjoy the blue sky!

The fairy rose is a small plant and the blossoms are tiny, but just perfect. This photo was taken after an overnight rain. The color is so soft and sweet!