Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Rainy Tuesday at Home



Are you tired of reading about our rainy days yet? We're having another day of gray skies and cold, cold drizzle. I took my morning walk with long pants, and three layers of shirts and sweaters. I left my coffee mug in the house, or it would have been diluted by the falling rain. My pants, shoes and socks were soaked by the time I got back to the house. I finally found out what has been eating the buds of a beautiful peach lily whose blooms I look forward to each year. Slugs. Notice how slug rhymes with ugh? There's a good reason for that!


After driving my oldest daughter to work, and my younger daughter and her friend to spend the day in town, the boys and I came home to our first day of "summer school." I don't currently homeschool my boys, but this summer we will be taking two days a week to work on a few subjects of interest. Today, we began a history book about the Revolutionary War. This book includes crafts, games and recipes that correlate to the material. My boys are excited about making a faux buckskin bag and a tri-corn hat next week (after a trip to the fabric store later this week) and cream scones as well. I remember doing these projects with my girls several years ago.

I made Rosewater Lemonade to go with their lunch, and then went to work on a sewing project. The current project is a long lavender gown for my oldest daughter who does medieval reenactments. We modified a pattern, which I am learning is not one of my strong points. I can follow a pattern pretty well, but when we start to modify I get really nervous. Besides all that, the teeth of my sewing machine appear to find lavender cotton silk delectable.

The remainder of the day will be filled with my usual Tuesday cleaning routine (vacuuming the living room, washing the kitchen and dining room floors, laundry,etc.), making dinner, more sewing, picking up my girls, and hopefully some reading time for me late in the day. I'm reading The Exile by Pearl Buck, a very old book, but new to me.

I hope you all have a pleasant Tuesday, at home or out and about, rain or shine. A thought for the day:

"He respects Owl, because you can't help respecting anyboday who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right." ~ A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
photos by Aisling, June 17, 2008 1) Blue Campanula, aka Blue Rain Flowers, or Fairies' Thimbles 2) Another photo, because it's so pretty and the first one opened today 3) Pale Aquilegia 4) Alchemilla Mollis (Lady's Mantle) catching rain

2 comments:

Robbin said...

Aisling, I LOVED "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck. I read it when I was very young, my mother used to get those Readers Digest Condensed version books, and I must have been about 10. I later read the complete novel when I was an adult and loved it so. I've since read some of her other work but not The Exile.
Sounds like you had a good day and I personally like walking in a bit of a drizzle. Send us some of that rain please, we need it badly. Enjoy your kids and your book.

Marcie said...

Robbin, That's the same version of The Good Earth I read, also when young. In that series, I first read alot of the classics, such as Little Women, some Edgar Allen Poe stories, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and more. Many of condensed versions inspired me to read the full version.

I hope you get some rain soon.